IADVL
Indexed with PubMed and Science Citation Index (E) 
 
Users online: 6233 
     Home | Feedback | Login 
About Current Issue Archive Ahead of print Search Instructions Online Submission Subscribe What's New Contact  
  NAVIGATE Here 
    Next article
    Previous article
    Table of Contents

 RESOURCE Links
    Similar in PUBMED
    Search Pubmed for
    Search in Google Scholar for
  Related articles
    Citation Manager
    Access Statistics
    Reader Comments
    Email Alert *
    Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3087    
    Printed205    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded297    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 

 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2018  |  Volume : 84  |  Issue : 6  |  Page : 672--677

Proposed global drooping and wrinkles classification and scoring system for aging face with validation and experience on 54 Indian subjects


Department of Dermatology, Aesthetic and Intervention Dermatology, Aura Skin Institute, Chandigargh, India

Correspondence Address:
Suruchi Garg
Aura Skin Institute, SCO44-45, Sector 9D, Madhya Marg, Chandigarh - 160 009
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijdvl.IJDVL_418_17

Rights and Permissions

Background: Aging is an inevitable biological change, but understanding the process of aging of face is important to customize the treatment options for facial rejuvenation. Evidence-based estimation of global facial aging is necessary for the validation of various treatment modalities. Aims: Classification and implementation of a scoring system for aging face based upon volume loss and surface changes as evident by drooping of different areas of the face and appearance of fine and deep wrinkles, respectively, and to apply this drooping–wrinkles classification on 54 participants to evaluate and understand the validity of scoring. Methods: An observational study was conducted, and scores were calculated based on 13 parameters (7 areas of drooping and 6 areas of wrinkles on the face) at Aura Skin Institute, Chandigarh, India. Accordingly, age was divided in different age groups followed by clinical estimation of facial age and calculation of scores. Results: According to our classification and scoring system, 61% (33 out of 54) of the participants were correlated with their chronological age group. Out of the remaining 21 (39%) participants who were aging faster, 13 (24%) were in the age group of 25–35 years. Approximately one-fourth of the patients in the age groups 36–45 and 46–55 years were aging faster. Only 1 patient had scores showing younger age in comparison to chronological age. Overall, there was a good correlation between the calculated score and the chronological age of patients. Moreover, a gradual increase in scores was noticed with increasing age groups. Conclusions: This is a new clinical classification and scoring system for facial age which is much easier to apply in daily clinical practice for easy calculation of baseline scores and customizing their antiaging treatment options. Moreover, it will also make it easier to compare the efficacy of treatment in their future follow-ups. The limitation of this study is that it has been proposed for all skin types but validation has been done only for Indian participants.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

Online since 15th March '04
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow