IADVL
Indexed with PubMed and Science Citation Index (E) 
 
Users online: 5359 
     Home | Feedback | Login 
About Current Issue Archive Ahead of print Search Instructions Online Submission Subscribe What's New Contact  
  NAVIGATE Here 
    Next article
    Previous article
    Table of Contents

 RESOURCE Links
    Similar in PUBMED
    Search Pubmed for
    Search in Google Scholar for
  Related articles
    Citation Manager
    Access Statistics
    Reader Comments
    Email Alert *
    Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed9665    
    Printed197    
    Emailed4    
    PDF Downloaded461    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 

 BRIEF REPORT
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 82  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 42--46

Immunotherapy using purified protein derivative in the treatment of warts: An open uncontrolled trial


1 Department of Dermatology, JNMC, Wardha, Maharashtra, India
2 Dr. Saoji's Skin Clinic, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Vikrant Saoji
22, Sukhad, Dandige Layout, Shankar Nagar, Nagpur - 440 010, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0378-6323.171650

Rights and Permissions

Background: Warts are known to clear spontaneously with the development of cell-mediated immunity (CMI) to the virus. Purified protein derivative (PPD) of tuberculin bacilli has been used as a non-specific stimulant of CMI to achieve this outcome. Aim: To study the effect of PPD in the treatment of warts. Methods: Patients with difficult-to-treat warts were selected for immunotherapy. Each patient received 2.5 TU of PPD intralesionally in a few warts. A total of four sessions were given at 2 weekly intervals and patients were followed up for 6 months after the last dose. Results: Sixty-one patients were recruited of which 55 completed 6 months follow up and were available for analysis. Of these, 25 had verruca vulgaris, 18 had verruca plana and 12 had plantar warts. Forty two (76%) patients showed complete clearance after four sessions while the remaining 13 (24%) patients were non-responders. One patient developed a recurrence after total clearance during the follow-up period. Adverse effects were erythema, edema and pain at the site of injections. Limitations: As this was an uncontrolled trial, there is no comparison with a non-intervention group. Also, a Mantoux test was not done due to practical difficulties. Conclusion: Immunotherapy with PPD is helpful in the treatment of cutaneous warts.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

Online since 15th March '04
Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow